PRE-SERVICE MODULE #2
OPINIONS BY THE NUMBERS
ESTIMATED TIME TO COMPLETE: One 75 minute period
MODULE OBJECTIVES: Students will be able to:
CONCEPT(S) LEARNED IN THIS MODULE:
- Select the best descriptor(s) for a given set of data
- Extrapolate information from an educational research article and explain the use of standard deviation
- Create displays of data (including box and whisker) electronically
- Use electronic tools to compute analysis of data set
STANDARD(S) ADDRESSED IN THIS MODULE (PRAXIS):
- Mean, median, mode, and standard deviation
TECHNOLOGY-ENHANCED INSTRUCTIONAL STRATEGIES UTILIZED IN THIS MODULE:
- Organizing, representing and interpreting data, mean, median and mode, using a computer and user-friendly software.
- Locating current educational research articles on the web
- Participating in an interactive web based lesson
- Excel, Smart Board, graphing calculators and overhead projection device
||Brief Description of
|Materials / Technology
||Students visit interactive web based lesson (www.shodor.org/interactivate/lessons/sm1.html
is one suggestion) and answer questions about mean, median and mode. Students locate a web based research article and report on the statistics used in the article.
||Computer with Internet Access
||Round robin discussion from engagement activities.
||Teacher summary (instruction in) of the concepts learned. Using Excel to compute concepts and construct displays.
||Constructing and using box and whisker plots on a graphing calculator.
||Completed graph and individual analysis of data.
||Word Processing and Excel
EXPECTED MODULE OUTCOMES:
PERFORMANCE-BASED ASSESSMENT OF MODULE OUTCOMES:
- Students will be able to effectively use concepts of data display and analysis
- Completion of electronic display and written analysis of data.
- Students should be familiar with research articles that describe mean values. Hand out copies of research noting standard deviation of data in case this measure of dispersement isn't present in any of their found articles. Another possibility would be to post a chosen article to Janzebar Discussion Board prior to class time.